Cisco 1751V password recovery

When i try to login my cisco 1751V router. Unfortunately, I didn’t receive the credentials to log on to the router. As a ‘note to self’: here comes the password recovery procedure for a 1751V.
  1. Turn the power on.
  2. Press the ‘break’ key within 60 seconds (in putty, I needed to use CTRL-Break). You should get to the rommon prompt: 

rommon 1 >
  1. Change the configuration register so the router will ignore the existing config (this 0x setting can vary):

rommon 1 > confreg 0x142
  1. Next, reset the router:


rommon 2 > reset
  1. Once the router has restarted, it will ask you if you would like to enter the initial configuration dialog. There you go. You now have two options:
    1. Copy the startup-config to running-config and change the password for any username that exists in the startup-config.
    2. Just start from scratch.
Since I just wanted to start from scratch, I was ready to go from there.

1 comment:

  1. I am really impressed your written a blog. Hope we are eagerly waiting for such post from your side. HATS OFF for the valuable information shared!
    Linux Training in Electronic City

    ReplyDelete